Block 2 Summative Reflection

It’s hard to believe that I am already near the end of my second block of the program, and while I still have a few final projects to complete for this block, I cannot help but look ahead into what the next few blocks will bring. I have done quite a lot of reflection about my own beliefs and pedagogy this block and I am beginning to feel like my process of becoming a teacher is more fine-tuned, so I am intrigued to see how the rest of the program can add to my already growing sense of self.

The inquiry approach that was introduced to us this block which has stood out most to me is the Spiral of Inquiry. The other approaches are also amazing and hold a lot of their own benefits, however the Spiral of Inquiry speaks to me on a more personal and pedagogical level. What I like most about this inquiry method is that it is incredibly student-centered, nearly every element revolves around making changes within the learning environment to help the students as opposed to catering to the education system. And the goals for the inquiry are not just about getting them to learn more or learn better, but it also deals with systemic issues within the education system that are preventing our students from receiving a great education from a deeper level than one might think. The Spiral of Inquiry has six key stages that they use to process change (both change within the school structure/system as well as change that students can make themselves in the classroom): scanning, focusing, developing a hunch, new professional learning, taking action, and checking that a big enough difference has been made. Later on throughout my practicum I would really love to be able to put these stages into practice, ensuring that the change I am aiming to make covers all aspects of the education system and works well for the students.

Speaking of inquiry, now is a good time to reflect on my inquiry intention from the end of Block One. The intention I had set for myself was: I would like to make sure that all of my future students feel valued and supported in the classroom in a way that is going to enable them to feel comfortable learning. Just yesterday, I took the time to reflect on my About Me section of my ePortfolio and I found the same issues with it as I do this inquiry intention, it is too simple and too broad. Education goes so much deeper than simply making sure all students feel comfortable in their learning environment. Instead, I should be asking myself about the reasons that students might feel UNcomfortable, and then work towards alleviating those issues. It goes beyond the learning content, or the environment. In addition to feeling comfortable, I need my students to feel safe, supported, and like they are a highly valued member of the classroom. By making these efforts, perhaps even through the Spiral of Inquiry, I aim for my students to feel strong and empowered with their own identities as well as their concept of self-worth. My new intention is a lot like my last, but it is bigger now, and will require much more persistence and motivation.

Reflecting back on my EDUC 391 Experiential Practicum experience and connecting it to the Spiral of Inquiry I can see that I think I already was attempting to engage in some of the key stages subconsciously. With each class I would scan to see if my future lessons would benefit all learners, focus on the learners that may not benefit from the lesson, develop a hunch about what I could do to differentiate the learning, and then take action in my next lesson by ensuring that the students who required the differentiated learning were able to engage in the lesson. I found that since I was teaching so many different classes and grades it was easiest to teach through activities as opposed to worksheets because then it left quite a lot more room for learning differences. Some students learned very well through vocalizing and group work, others preferred to be independent, some preferred to collaborate with another student on a project, some liked to move around and practice through kinesthetics. I did my best to ensure that each of my lessons provided room for these students to do what worked best for them, and because of the limited time that I had during each lesson I found that through my own inquiry it worked really well for the students! Yes, it was perhaps more chaotic than some teachers may like or want, but I see a classroom full of movement and chatter as a place of excitement and freedom of expression. I see a lot of what I want for my students within this very program as well. The assignments leave room for expression of self and differences between beliefs and pedagogies, and while the knowledge being taught to us cover the foundational necessities of what we need to know to be educators, I still feel as though we have room to apply the knowledge to our own philosophies as opposed to being molded into a systemic shape that the educational system expects.

Goals for Block 3

1. Stay true to myself and my own pedagogy. Stay on this wave of inspiration and motivation. I am where I am supposed to be and I am succeeding.
  2. Explore self through teaching during the next practicum. Explore teaching methods or techniques that may not seem conventional but resonate with myself and/or the students.
  3. Experiment explicitly with the Spiral of Inquiry. Make my own footprint within the learning environment I am placed in.

Spiral of Inquiry. Networks of Inquiry and Indigenous Education. (n.d.). https://noiie.ca/spiral-of-inquiry/.